Pageviews last month

Saturday 7 January 2012

Be sure of what you want...

As of late I have been wondering what my best options are for work and education and whether I made the right choices at school and college. Then I thought about the system we had to go through...UCAS

To apply for college or university, you have to apply before Christmas if you want to get in for the following September. This is fine for people who know exactly what they want to do, but for people like me who aren't really sure, this was a bit pushy.

I picked A levels at college rather than the BTEC I wanted to do in Music because I thought it would give me a better chance at getting into uni and give me a wider range of subjects to explore. To be honest, I regret this now. I absolutely adored my A levels and they were good learning curves, but now I am at university, doing something different to what I originally wanted to do, I am unhappy. My course isn't what I expected; when I applied for this course, they said there would be a lot of practical work - there really isn't. Also, even though I love acting, I cannot see myself teaching drama at school. I still want to be a teacher, but in music, my first love.

Now this has left me with a terribly difficult situation: do I leave university and go back to college doing what I wanted to do in the first place, or finish university, then go on to do a music course and do what I wanted to do before?

I have decided that my decision is to leave university early and go back to college, but only if I am successful in my application process for college. Personally, I do not see the point in finishing something I am unhappy with if I have the chance to change it. If I'm not successful in enrolling at college, I will continue my course at university because that seems the more sensible option instead of getting a full time job; at least then I will have a degree under my belt.

If anything good is to come out of my experiences is that I know now what I would rather do for the rest of my life instead of being stuck in a job I don't like. Also, I can tell others of my experiences and it may help those to really think about their options at college and university. If you want to do a certain subject, do it! No matter what anyone says or anyone thinks, do it! You'll only regret not doing it later.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. When I was deciding my A levels I wanted to to do PE, English and history. I couldn't do PE and history as the timetable clashed. I chose to take PE as I was the sports captain and felt pressured into doing what seemed right. I now regret it as it turned out just because I can play sport doesn't mean I know anything about it! I now wish I had stuck to what my heart told me. I went on to university and studied sport science, (again i felt i had to) i dropped out after the first year. it was the best decision i made. University taught me a lot and now I know to stick to what i feel is right. Good luck! sorry for going on a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to you too! I hope you're happy now :) You weren't going on either :) I think the best thing we can do is to teach others about picking subjects correctly rather than going off by what others are saying :) Thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said :) I agree with you too Sophii! :) Xx.

    ReplyDelete